Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 24 November 2020

Exploring Street Theology


Caring for Others

Whilst the artist and helpers were busy creating the mosaic, there were two ladies who would supply the inner needs by bringing refreshments to sustain the work.


This part of the Mosaic shows those ladies who would regular cater for the needs of those creating the street art by bring along much appreciated refreshments. Such caters are often the unseen heroes, working behind the scenes whilst others take the limelight.


The bible is full of such people, for example Martha to the Mary. Whilst Mary was in rapt awe listening the the teaching of Jesus, Martha appears to be busy preparing the table. 


In the Acts of the Apostle we find the early church introducing the role of Deacons. (Read Acts 6:1-7 to get the whole story.) There were Greek widows who were being neglected due to the Apostles busy schedule of spreading the gospel, so it was decided to appoint seven men of faith to oversee the care and actually obey the God given guidance to care for the widow, orphan and stranger. Such practice also followed through the teaching of Jesus, Matthew 25:35 “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,”


Jesus continually identified with the needy and desired that his followers should follow this through in their living. Someone suggested that I should consider  everyone I meet as a sister or brother for whom Christ died, as St Paul says. “I may not be able to do much for others, but I can show them the respect and dignity which they need most of all.”


It is my  behaviour rather than my beliefs that reveal whether I am a Kingdom person. My treatment of others, the criterion by which I myself will be treated.


Lord, you call me to recognise you in all those who are in need. May my response be one of concrete and loving service. May I be able to put into practice the words of St Ignatius who says: ’Love manifests itself in deeds more than words.’ St John of the Cross tells us: ‘In the evening of life, we will be examined in love.’


God in heaven, I offer my deepest appreciation for the many blessings you shower upon me every day. I am truly humbled by the bounty of your graces. I ask for the compassion to follow the inspiring example of those who served others. Help me to embrace and bring comfort to those suffering immensely. Let me remember that each day that I help someone I am helping you. Amen


No comments: