Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Monday 31 August 2020

My Home City - Reflections on my early years in Plymouth 6

 My Grandfather’s Boats - Sutton Harbour - Plymouth by Rev’d Paul Collings 

So Jesus got into one of the boats (the one that belonged to Simon) and asked him to push out a little from the shore. Then he sat down and began to teach the crowds from the boat. Luke 5:3


I cast my mind to childhood days

And see again the boats that lay

By harbour wall there safely moored 

At end of day there tied, secured.


I see again the vessels three,

The Plym, Sand-swallow, and Ivy,

My Grandads boats, with him at helm

Across the ‘Sound’, the sea his realm.


Such seamanship held in esteem 

As Captain Daymond, and his team,

Kept seaways, dredged and deep and clear 

That passing ships to port could near.


I also think of those who plow

The waves of life others to show 

Your guiding hand, Lord, ‘gainst the tide

And through their patience homeward guide.


May I be constantly aware

Of those who flounder in despair,

Guide in your strength, and rescue souls

And bring to port completely whole.

 

“He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast.” : Leonardo da Vinci


No comments: