Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 24 June 2020

Faith in Times of Crisis 11

Artwork “Green Pastures” By Rev’d Paul Collings

Reflection By Dr J P Hunter

[Psalm 23:1-4,6 A psalm of David.

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley, 
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

Surely your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.


Meditation

This much-loved Psalm has a simple message for people living under pressure: have confidence in God.


The Psalm writer uses the metaphor of the shepherd caring for his sheep and makes confidently clear who his shepherd is: The Lord is my shepherd. Idyllic images of sheep lying down in green pastures beside quiet waters are followed by the need of the human flock to be spiritually renewed, he refreshes my soul, and morally guided, he guides me along the right paths. Jesus too used this imagery when he said: I am the good shepherd, John 10:11.


Even when accompanied by the good shepherd himself, any journey of the soul inevitably passes through dark valleys. But there is great comfort in Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. These last five words for you are with me speak so clearly about the reassurance and confidence that comes from a close, personal relationship with God. 


Prayer

Lord, you are my good shepherd. I pray that you will refresh my soul and guide me in right paths. Although I am not always aware, I thank you that you are always near me, giving me confidence, protection and comfort. Your goodness and love will follow me when I stay in a close relationship with you. Amen.


Singing the Faith 736 verse 2,3, chosen because lock down measures are gradually lifted and our churches may re-open soon.

2 Wherever he may guide me,

no want shall turn me back;

   my Shepherd is beside me,

   and nothing can I lack:

   his wisdom ever waketh,

   his sight is never dim;

   he knows the way he taketh,

   and I will walk with him.


3 Green pastures are before me, 

   which I have not yet seen;

   bright skies will soon be o’er me,

   where darkest clouds have been;

   my hope I cannot measure,

   my path to life is free;

   my Saviour has my treasure,

   and he will walk with me.                                   


Anna Laetitia Waring (1823 – 1910)


No comments: