Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - 01392 206229 - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 18 June 2020

Faith in Times of Crisis 10

Artwork “You are my Refuge” by Rev’d Paul Collings


Meditation by Dr J P Hunter


Psalm 31:1-4,14-15a,19-20a. For the director of music. A psalm of David. 

1 In you, Lord, I have taken refuge;
    let me never be put to shame;
    deliver me in your righteousness.
2 Turn your ear to me,
    come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
    a strong fortress to save me.
3 Since you are my rock and my fortress,
    for the sake of your name, lead and guide me.
4 Keep me free from the trap that is set for me,
    for you are my refuge.


14 But I trust in you, Lord;

I say, “You are my God.”

15 My times are in your hands;


19 How abundant are the good things

that you have stored up for those who fear you,

that you bestow in the sight of all,

on those who take refuge in you.

20 In the shelter of your presence you hide them

you keep them safe in your dwelling.


Meditation

This is a Psalm about looking for refuge and finding safety through trust. The word refuge appears three times in the four opening verses as it becomes clear that the psalm writer is in deep distress and is looking for guidance, shelter and safety. Besides being in agony, the writer has a great treasure which gives him inner strength about which he prays so effectively to God. It is trust. He prays: “But I trust in you, Lord”, adding to that his complete dependency on his Heavenly Father: “My times are in your hand”. 


Then, despite difficulties, he is able to rise above his circumstances and realises the good things God has in store for those who fear Him. He finds shelter, protection and safety in His dwelling, which means in the protection of a close relationship with Him. May we too, whatever our individual circumstances, realise our dependency, live in complete trust in Him and find safety.


Prayer

Be merciful to me O Lord, for I am in distress and fear is not far away.

Difficulties surround me and am in need of guidance.

In you I trust. I know my times are in your hand.

Save me through your unfailing mercy and love. Amen.


Hymns and Psalms 540 verse 5

Lord, my time is in your hand,

My soul to thee convert;

Thou canst make me understand

Though I am slow of heart;

Thine in whom I live and move,

Thine the work, the praise is thine;

Thou art wisdom, power and love,

And all thou art is mine.  


Charles Wesley (1707-1788)




No comments: