Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Saturday 16 May 2020

6. Paul’s Imprisonment

Locked Down but Not Out
Reflections on Grace when facing  Dark Times. 

Romans 8:37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

How often have we sung the hymn
“My chains fell off my heart was free”
Yet failed to know its deeper core.
How Paul and Silas, in cell grim
Their freedom lost, how could they  plea
But sing and  praise their dear Saviour.

Their crime, inditement, and the charge
Was that they witnessed to a peace
Of Christ’s redeeming life outpoured.
Yet on that night earth shook at large
As tremor opened door, release
Their captivity, escape afford.

But in the turmoil Paul firm stood
And quelled the jailers deepest fear
Who thought that he would take the blame -
What penalty the cost, what could
He do his own life now to clear,
And save his family’s honoured name.

The bible narrative relates
The jailer asked how to be saved
“Believe the Lord in Jesus take
Your Saviour here for you he waits.”
And so the turnkey saved from grave
With all his family awake.

Lord, when locked down, entrapped by fear,
Help me to hear, to sing once more
“My chains fell off my heart is free:”
Help me to “rise and follow thee!”
And as I see you there adore
Emboldened stoop, and bow my knee.


No comments: