Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 1 March 2024

Thoughts of Faith


As we enter March we return to the the writings of George McDonald with his pithy yet revealing words “As Christ is the blossom of humanity, so the blossom of every one is Christ perfected in them.”

Paul writing to the Colossians spoke of this Christly Perfection in this way. “So everywhere we go we talk about Christ to all who will listen, warning them and teaching them as well as we know how. We want to be able to present each one to God, perfect because of what Christ has done for each of them. This is my work, and I can do it only because Christ’s mighty energy is at work within me.” Colossians 1:28-29


The word perfect in the Greek is a word full of meaning. It can mean

  1. brought to its end, 
  2. finished -  wanting nothing necessary to completeness 
  3. fully mature 


Later in his life, C S Lewis, questioned what maturity really looked like; “When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am 50, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things -- including the fear of childishness and the desire to be grown-up. “


At a church bible study on the subject of Christian Maturity, someone said, "Being spiritually mature probably means you don't try to figure out whether the people around you are spiritually mature or not." Someone else said, "It's all I can do to figure out what God wants me to do. I don't need to try to figure out what God wants everyone else to do."


Simply put, as in our an earlier devotional, is Christian Maturity as simple as, “Letting go ad Letting God!”


God of unity and love,

place within each of us

a spirit of hope and community.

Have mercy upon us

when we speak without love

or act without humility.

Cleanse us with the living water of your grace.

Create in us willing hearts

to live in patience and gentleness.

Raise us up to be your children,

growing toward maturity

in faith and love.

Strengthen this church,

that we may be a model

of ministry and unity

for all the world to see. Amen


No comments: