Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 5 March 2024

Faith Thoughts


We continue our series on Faith Thoughts by considering the writings of Thomas Merton who was an American Trappist monk, writer, theologian, mystic, poet, social activist and scholar of comparative religion. On May 26, 1949, he was ordained to the Catholic priesthood and given the name "Father Louis”. 

In one of his writings he claimed that, “Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone - we find it with another.” Reading this I am reminded again of the scene in the Musical Oliver, where the young lad looks plaintively from his prison window and sings. “Where is love.”


A woman seeking counsel from Dr. George W. Crane, the psychologist, confided that she hated her husband, and intended to divorce him. “I want to hurt him all I can,” she declared firmly.“Well, in that case,” said Dr. Crane, “I advise you to start showering him with compliments. When he thinks you love him devotedly, then start the divorce action. That is the way to hurt him.” Some months later the wife returned to report that all was going well. She had followed the suggested course. “Good,” said Dr. Crane. “Now’s the time to file for divorce.” “Divorce!” the woman said indignantly. “Never. I love my husband dearly!” 


In such a story we discover the wisdom found in the first letter of John.” And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” 1 John 4:16-18


Loving Father, I praise You for Your heart of love that is open towards me, and for the many ways that You shower Your love into my life. Keep me ever mindful of Your never-failing love and ever-abiding presence in my heart. Use me I pray, to stream Your gracious love through my life and out to the weary and thirsty souls that You place in my path. This I ask in Christ's name and for His greater glory, AMEN.


No comments: