Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Tuesday 21 June 2022

O I am Certain?


Jesus loves me and I know I love him;
Love brought him down my poor soul to redeem,
Yes, it was love made him die on the tree;
O I am certain that Jesus loves me!

When I read the narrative of where the rich young ruler comes to Jesus seeking certainty, my heart goes out to him in his uncertainty. Matthew 19:16-22 

The young man comes with an almost academic request concerning which commandment to follow. Interestingly, the commandments which Jesus recites to the rich young man do not include the first three of the ten commandment, which all relate to our relationship with God. Instead, Jesus lists those which address our relationships with each other. The message is clear – we do not live in isolation. Love for our neighbour is the door to eternal life.

In other words the love received and the love I have for Jesus Christ has to find its out working in love for my neighbour.

Sometimes when we ask a question of God we do not like the answer! When Jesus challenges this good young man to let go of the material things that he treasures, he walks away from Jesus, grieving. Does my heart ever ache because I know God is asking something which I am not ready to give to him?

A Prayer
Teach me, Lord, how to get free of the things that have a hold on me. They prevent me from following you more closely. Help me to see that my possessions are not the treasure I am looking for. Help me to build the lasting treasure of a strong relationship with you. Amen

No comments: