Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Wednesday 16 February 2022

Wednesday - filled with the Holy Spirit


Following on from Tuesday’s meditation upon the incarnation, the Celtic traditional week turns to the blessing of being filled by the Holy Spirit. However, this is approached in a very down to earth terms. The Late Rev’d David Watson, in his book, “One in the Spirit” talks of the coming of the Holy Spirit as being, “Supernaturally natural and naturally supernatural.”

There is a tradition in Celtic Christianity of the peregrinatio, a pilgrim who wanders without destination. Much in line with the scriptural concept of “The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” John 3:8


St. Brendan the Navigator is the most famous of the peregrinatios. St. Brendan set out in his currach without oars (A currach is a type of Irish boat with a wooden frame, over which animal skins or hides were once stretched), He trusted the Holy Spirit to fill the sails and lead him wherever he was meant to go. 


Lauren Burdette, in an article about St Brendan, “His story has captured my imagination. I have a painting of his boat that I use as an entry point to prayer. I imagine myself in the boat and I ask the Holy Spirit to fill my sails and lead me where She will, to points unknown. I feel my soul fill with hope and possibility as I practice trusting the Lord with my journey. In my interior life, I am a content peregrinatio.”


Jesus promise naturally finds its place within the Celtic Tradition - “If you really love me, you will keep the commandments I have given you and I shall ask the Father to give you someone else to stand by you, to be with you always. I mean the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept, for it can neither see nor recognise that Spirit. But you recognise him, for he is with you now and will be in your hearts.” John 14:15-17


Such spiritual wandering reminds me of the Hymn written by Joseph Gilmore (1834-1911)


1 He leadeth me: O blessed thought!

O words with heavenly comfort fraught!

Whate'er I do, where'er I be,

still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me.


Refrain:

He leadeth me, he leadeth me;

by his own hand he leadeth me:

his faithful follower I would be,

for by his hand he leadeth me.


2 Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom,

sometimes where Eden's flowers bloom,

by waters calm, o'er troubled sea,

still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me. Refrain


3 Lord, I would clasp thy hand in mine,

nor ever murmur nor repine;

content, whatever lot I see,

since 'tis my God that leadeth me. Refrain


4 And when my task on earth is done,

when, by thy grace, the victory's won,

e'en death's cold wave I will not flee,

since God through Jordan leadeth me. Refrain 


No comments: