Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 27 January 2022

The Celtic Rhythm of Prayer


In a similar way to the monastic tradition,  Celtic spirituality has a rhythm of prayer.  In fact, historically speaking, the Celtic rhythm of prayer probably morphed into the monastic tradition.


The modern Celtic cycle usually takes the form of Morning, Mid-day, Evening and Night or Complain Prayer.


David Adams further expands this rhythm where by each day of the week resounds with a specific theme. Sunday is resurrection; Monday reflects on creation; Tuesday is shaped by incarnation; Wednesday is filled with the Holy Spirit; Thursday thinks about community; Friday gazes at the cross; and Saturday recalls the fellowship of the Saints. Life has its rhythms - ebb and flow, darkness and light, dry times and times of richness. To survive this intricate pattern, we need to have an overriding rhythm of prayer. We need to know that whatever is happening, we are loved by God and in Him we live and move and have our being.


We will explore these themes later in out series.


To start with why not try a simple exercise of holding, if only briefly, a moment of prayer, morning, midday, evening and night time.


Here is a sample of this Celtic daily rhythm of prayer.


(Morning) I arise today….

(Midday) I live today….

(Evening) I give thanks….

(Night) I rest this night….


Through a mighty strength:
God's power to guide me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's eyes to watch over me;
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to give me speech,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to shelter me,
God's host to secure me. Amen


(first millenium - bridgid of gael)


No comments: