Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Thursday 23 December 2021

Excerpts from Becky Lovatt’s Book - Beyond the Chocolate Window


The Voice of Anna

Despite all my sorrow, through this child I have now known joy. I have waited patiently, and I have spoken to all who would listen about the conviction of my heart and the reality of the coming Saviour. Today he has come, and I have seen with my own eyes God’s salvation.


My name is Anna and I am a prophetess from the tribe of Asher. The name my parents gave me means ‘favour’ or ‘grace’, and God had granted me both in a long and varied life.


I married young and spent seven happy years with my husband, but then he died leaving me a widow, and I have remained so all my life. My sorrow was deep, and the pain of loss was etched on my face, ageing me before my years. The hope for children and a life lived in them had been cruelly snatched from me. Yet through it all, I knew that God was good, that he had chosen me and set me apart. I was just waiting for my sorrow to be turned into joy.


After my husband‘s death, I dedicated myself wholly to the Lord. Never leaving the Temple in Jerusalem, I spent my time worshipping, fasting and praying, offering my life back to God’s service. I was offered living accommodation in the Temple due to my status as a prophetess, for which I was very grateful as, without a husband, how else would I

have survived?


I worked hard and kept my head down. It was a difficult environment in which to be a woman — expected to keep silent and not to have an opinion about anything. This somewhat conflicted with my calling, to stand up and speak out about the coming Messiah.


My prayer life was the heartbeat of the Temple. When the priests led the worship, I prayed, bearing the soul of every believer to the throne - room of God. When parents brought their children for dedication, I prayed for health and hope and encouragement.


Then one day, when a certain woman brought her son to the Temple, I knew instantly that this was the one we had waited for; this was the child in whom our liberation rested, and I had been allowed to see him face to face.


I prayed for his mother who, like me, would taste bitter sorrow before the new world came. I prayed for courage, that she could brave the days ahead, as I have done - trusting in the goodness of God, believing in his unfailing promise which her son would deliver.


Over the decades, grief had become my friend. Now, through this infant, I met with joy once again and my heart was full to breaking with the love that he radiated. I am old and my body is decaying but because I have seen him, I can depart in peace; my joy is complete and sadness is banished forever.



Prayer


God, who accompanies us through of the joys and sorrows Of life,

draw alongside those I know who are grieving today.

Help them to find comfort in those around them and in you.

Help me to come alongside those in pain

and offer a helping hand when it is needed.

Teach me to pray as Anna prayed

so that I might know your heart

and share it with others.

Amen.


No comments: