Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 30 April 2021

How to let go and Let God


Let Go and Let God Prayer Journal

1 Peter 5:7 (NLT) tells us to “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.”


Sometimes we struggle with certain areas of our lives and the only solution is to just let go and let God take the wheel; but how?


I read of someone who created a “Let Go and Let God Prayer Journal” to help identify the things we need to relinquish control of, meditate on them, and ask God (in writing) to take the wheel.


This journal came with verses of scripture to pray over specific areas of your life as well as journaling prompts to help mediate over the issues as we ask God to take them from us.


John Wesley, who kept a journal for well over 50 years wrote, “In using all means, seek God alone. In and through every outward thing, look only to the power of His Spirit, and the merits of His Son. Beware you do not get stuck in the work itself; if you do, it is all lost labor. Nothing short of God can satisfy your soul. Therefore, fix on Him in all, through all, and above all...Remember also to use all means as means-as ordained, not for their own sake...” 


How are we giving our concerns to God in our daily lives?


In Matthew 6 we read, “strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 'So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today's trouble is enough for today.” But what does ‘set your heart on his kingdom first’ mean for me? We may ask  “Am I a worrier?” “What do I worry about?” Can I talk to God about my worries? Do I wish I could ‘hand them over’ to him to take care of them and take care of me? What might my life be like if I ceased to worry?


This also gives rise to such thoughts as, “How do I come to a balance between the kind of trust the Gospel invites me to and the need to work and provide for myself and my family?”


Prayer:

Lord, I don’t really know how to “let go”. I don’t really know what to do to give You control of my life, but I am coming to You in humility of heart to admit that I can do nothing in my own strength and to confess my need of You in my life. Lord, I pray that Your grace and mercy would lead and guide me and take control. Amen


No comments: