Fore Street Topsham, Exeter

Reverend Paul Collings BTh (Hons) - - - - paul.collings@methodist.org.uk - - - - 01392 206229 - - - - 07941 880768

About Us

We are a community of faith seeking to discover the face of Jesus Christ in our Church, in our Community and in our Commitment.

Friday 18 November 2022

The Kingship of Christ


Mark 1:15 And saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

A story from Tauler, the German mystic:


One day Tauler met a beggar. "God give you a good day, my friend." he said. The beggar answered, "I thank God I never had a bad one.”


Then Tauler said, "God give you a happy life, my friend." "I thank God," said the beggar, "I am never unhappy.”


Tauler in amazement said, "What do you mean?" "Well," said the beggar, "When it is fine, I thank God; when it rains, I thank God; when I have plenty, I thank God; when I am hungry, I thank God; and since God’s will is my will, and whatever pleases Him, pleases me, why should I say I am unhappy when I am not?”


Tauler looked at the man in astonishment. "Who are you?" he asked. "I am a king," said the beggar. "Where then is your kingdom?" asked Tauler. And the beggar answered quietly: "In my heart.”


Isaiah 26:6 "You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You."


So it can be with us. We live in the world, but as part of God's kingdom, we are to live according to his kingdom's standards and values; that makes all the difference.


Father, as a citizen of Your kingdom, please, give me the grace to always seek first, Your Kingdom and Your Righteousness, and to do Your Perfect Will, at all times, in The Mighty Name of Jesus. Amen!.

No comments: